Private messaging in online communities is one of the key features to add a social layer for personal conversations and enable members to build stronger networks.
Benefits of private messaging
- Better retention rate since the members don't have to use a separate tool for private communication.
- Private conversations are personalized and highly contextual which improves communication efficiency.
- Better collaboration between members as messaging enables a faster and easier exchange of information.
Private messaging in Tribe Communities
The Messages app in Tribe offers a real-time and chat-like experience to the members for a private conversation.
Check out the steps outlined below to learn how Admins can enable and configure messages in communities.
1. Click on admin settings
2. Click on "Apps" on the left side navigation.
3. Scroll down to the Messages app.
4. Click on Install, and enable the app.
5. Once enabled, the messaging icon will appear right next to the notifications icon.
Starting a private message is straightforward:
1) Members need to open up the private messaging panel from the chat icon available on the navigation bar
2) The search box on the left allows members to search for people to send a message.
3) After selecting a member, messages can be sent from the input box present at the bottom.
Members can also initiate a conversation by directly clicking on the "Message" button from a member profile.
Given below are a list of enhancements for the Messages app that will be released in the future:
- Report a conversation or message
- Block a user from sending me messages, and unblock
- Send images as messages
- Attach files to messages
- Displaying link thumbnails
- Group messages
- Real-time "typing" state when a member is typing
- Global status indicator (online, offline, custom)
- Better privacy settings to enable or disable message requests
- Archive conversations
- Read receipts
Got any questions? Send us a message at [email protected], or use the messenger on the bottom right-hand corner to start a conversation!