Groups are useful for bringing members with shared interested closer and facilitate focused discussions. Groups can be renamed to anything you like. Good examples are channels, spaces, chapters, etc.
While most of the communities can benefit from the group's feature, if you don't need to have groups, simply go to admin panel, find the groups under apps setting and uninstall the app.
There are 3 different types of groups that can be created in a community: Public, Private, and Secret.
1. Public groups are accessible for all community members, and anyone from the community can view the content before joining. Joining a public group does not require any approval. Public groups are also visible on the "all groups" page.
2. Private groups on the other hand are only accessible to its group members. Users cannot see the posted content in the group before joining. Joining private group requires approval from group admin, group moderator or the community admin. Private groups are also visible on the "all groups" page.
3. Secret groups are like private groups, with this difference that they are not listed on "all groups" page so users can not discover them unless they are invited to the group. The only way to join a secrete group is the invitation from group admin, group moderator or the community admin.
To get started, you can rename the group custom name and default groups.
Renaming groups and adding default groups
Go to Admin Panel > Groups (under Apps Settings) and then update the Group Custom Name. You can also choose a Default Group.
NOTE: Choosing a default groups means all new members will be automatically joined to the default groups.
How to create a Group
There are two ways to create a group.
1. Go to "Admin Panel".
2. Select "Groups" at the left-hand side menu.
3. Click on "Add Group".
1. Click the "+" icon at the upper right-hand side of the page.
2. Choose Group from the drop-down menu.
Now that you created your Group, let's learn how to add members to your newly created Group.
Adding members to your group.
- Just go to the Group you wanted to add members by either clicking on the Group on the left sidebar or in Admin Panel > Groups.
- You will see on the right side of the Group page, "Add Members to <Group Name>".
- Just type in the name of the person you wanted to Add.
- Click on the name for them to be added.
Got any questions? Send us a message at [email protected], or use the bottom right hand corner widget to start a conversation!